Yesterday, my area found out that we are in one of the many projected paths of Hurricane Irma. We are far inland from the coast and have not been in a projected hurricane path since the 1980s. I realized this morning that I cannot afford to wait for the weather models to “agree” on the path before I buy my emergency supplies. For instance, there are only certain brands of many non-perishable food items that I can eat, and once those items are gone, they probably won’t be back on the shelf until after the storm.
It is important for anyone with food allergies to always have some emergency food supplies on hand, because for us, finding food can be much more difficult than the average person.
It is important to think about any food, household product, or essential personal care product that you need day to day that you can only buy in specific brands or at certain stores. Some of these items could include:
- Non-perishable food items that are safe for your specific allergy such as bread, soup, sandwich spreads (could be almond butter, sunflower butter, etc.,) and other items that can be eaten without being cooked or refrigerated.
- Toilet paper and soap that is appropriate for your allergy.
- First aid products that are safe for your allergy.
- Fresh towels that have been washed in your laundry detergent in case you have leaks, flooding, etc.
- If it’s a winter storm, make sure that you have plenty of blankets and jackets that have been washed in detergent that is safe for you, and think about alternative heat sources that are safe for you.
- And of course everyone needs extra water, flashlights, etc. There are lots of good websites out there about emergency preparedness in general, so I won’t go into a lot of detail about that here.
Having some of these things on hand at all times will help you be prepared when everyone rushes to the store and that one brand of product you can use is out of stock for several days or weeks.
I also want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Houston. Thank you to emergency responders who work tirelessly every day to provide safe environments and get essential supplies to those affected by disasters and other emergencies.
Be safe, everyone!