Almost every year at New Year’s, I think over the past year and take stock of the good and the bad. Last December, I was so sick that I had just quit my job, had choking spells in my sleep that made me think that I was going to die, had suffered my sixth miscarriage, and thought that I would never beat the sinus infection that I had been battling for over a year.
Fortunately this story has a very happy ending, because in February, I discovered a new food allergy (soy.) Now, I can say that this year has been the best year of my life!
- I have lost 50 pounds since June 2013, and 30 of those pounds happened after eliminating soy in February.
- I have incredible energy levels. I never feel the exhaustion that I previously felt every single day, and I generally work way more than 40 hours per week.
- I have not been on antibiotics in almost a year, and I previously took several rounds per year for sinus infections.
- For the first time in my life, I sleep through the night without needing to go to the bathroom.
- My acid reflux has gone from my doctor recommending extensive surgery to completely eliminating one of my reflux medications.
- I have stopped taking 3 other medications/supplements.
- The “chicken skin” that I had on my upper arms is gone.
- It feels great to have people tell me that not only look thinner, but I look years younger.
- I actually know what it feels like to just go to the doctor to check in and ask questions instead of constant “sick visits.”
- My doctor no longer feels the need to check my cholesterol, which needed regular monitoring before.
- Instead of eating out several times a week like I previously did, I can now cook easy, delicious meals that are just as good as any restaurant.
- I have learned to work around my demanding and ever-changing work schedule and still have a home cooked meal at every meal.
- I have found a handful of restaurants that can cook for me.
- I am able to travel again.
- I have an incredibly supportive family that has rallied behind me, cooked for me, and listened to me go on and on about food allergies.
- I always listened to other people talk about their “calling,” and this year I finally found it through food allergy coaching!
In this new year, my wish for you is that your food allergies will become one of your greatest blessings, and you will look back next December and have your own list of miracles and transformations!